Tasty Thursday: Peanut Butter Caramel Corn
I receive emails nearly every day from publishers that want me to share a recipe from their latest cookbook. I try some of them, rarely post any of them. But this week one of those emails caught my eye. It is from Cooking Light – one of my favorite recipe resources. And it sounds too delicious to turn away. I’m making some this afternoon to surprise the kids. Saturday is National Popcorn Day – seems like a great excuse for you to make some too!
Peanut Butter Caramel Corn
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (for popping the corn)
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 250.
2. Line a jelly-roll pan with parchment paper; coat paper with cooking spray.
3. Pop the popcorn in your popper or heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add popcorn; cover and cook 4 minutes, shaking pan frequently. When popping slows, remove pan from heat. Let stand until popping stops. Uncover; add almonds if desired.
4. Combine sugar, syrup, butter, and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add peanut butter and vanilla, and stir until smooth. Drizzle over popcorn; toss well. Spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 250 for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool completely.
Serves 20 (serving size: about 3/4 cup).
calories 155; fat 7.4g (sat 1.8g, mono 3.5g, poly 1.6g); p rot e in 2.6g; c a r b 21.3g; fiber 1.4g; chol 4mg; iron 0.4mg; sodium 108mg; calc 17mg