On cold winter days there’s nothing I like more than a crock pot bubbling away with warm soup or stew. I found a recipe in Good Housekeeping that I’ve been wanting to try and last week gave me a perfect opportunity. Let me note that my husband who only eats vegetarian meals when they are placed in front of him with no other options was very dubious about this meal. Until he tried it. I’m not saying it’s on his list of favorites – but even he thought it was good enough to have two helpings. I thought it was delicious and warm and perfect for winter.
Lentil & Butternut Squash Stew
– 3 large celery stalks, sliced
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded & cut into 1 inch chunks
– 1 bag (1 lb) of brown lentils
– 4 cups of water
– 2 cans (14 oz) of vegetable broth
– 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
– salt & pepper
– parmesan cheese, shredded or sliced if you’re all fancy like that
In your crock pot combine everything but the parmesan cheese. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Serve in bowls topped with parmesan – don’t skip this part, the cheese makes the dish.