Yes, I realize I should have posted this last week so you all could have made it for St Patrick’s Day but I wasn’t sure how it would turn out so I needed to wait and do it myself. I also realize that if I were one of those fancy cooks I would buy beef and ‘corn’ it myself. But seriously – that takes time and I’ve got three kids and well… the corned beef on sale at the grocery store this time of year seemed pretty darn good to me. Here’s the most important part though – this recipe is perfect for your next St Patrick’s Day feast or anytime you can get your hands on some corned beef. It was super, super easy and really, really yummy. And isn’t that the best realization of all?!?
Corned Beef in the Slow Cooker
1. Buy 3-4 pounds of corned beef
2. Put it in the crock pot and spread the pickling spices that come with it on top.
3. Add water to the crock pot – enough to almost cover the roast.
4. Cook it on low for 10 hours.
Now comes the really yummy part, a horseradish crust:
– 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
– 4 generous tablespoons of prepared horseradish
– 2-3 tablespoons of dijon mustard
1. Mix the horseradish with the breadcrumbs
2. Take the corned beef out of the crock pot, scrape off any fat.
3. Spread the mustard all over the roast and then smush the horseradish topping on top. So it looks like this:
4. Broil on low heat for 3 minutes until the crust gets lightly browned.
Easy. Tender. Delicious!
Note on the sides: I opted for roasted red potatoes with asparagus. If you like cabbage you can put some wedges around the roast in the crock pot for the last 30 minutes of cooking time and they’ll come out just fine.