I started 2010 off last January with my first run over 5 miles. I ended 2010 with a Garmin record of hundreds of miles pounded out. Looking back, the places those first steps took me almost take my breath away:
– around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (as part of the Indy Mini Marathon)
– along the Atlantic Ocean while on vacation in Virginia Beach
– to physical challenges I literally never considered possible
– thru the beautiful woods and hills of Mackinac Island
– on Lake Shore Drive with the skyline of Chicago stretched before me
– to a new level of mental and physical strength
– swimming in a lake on a 40 degree morning in September
– biking for 12+ miles, after swimming .25 and then hopping off the bike to run 3 – and considering it a fun way to spend a Saturday morning
– into the open arms of newfound friends, friends that will be part of my life forever
Plenty of things happened in 2010 but for me, this will always be the year that I surprised myself. The year that included a 5K (3.1 miles), a 10K (6.2 miles), a 15K (9.3 miles), a half marathon (13.1 miles) and two (two!!) triathlons (three if you count the shorter, indoor race). The year that I pushed and pushed and pushed some more. The year that I realized the power of myself and how much stronger that power is when surrounded by loving, slightly nutty, always supportive friends.
What will 2011 bring? No one knows for sure but there’s one milestone hanging out there and it includes the numbers 2… 6… and 2…. And I’m pretty sure at least one of those friends will be right by my side.