Okay, this is so ridiculously easy that I hesitate to even call it a recipe. But it is so good and healthy (and easy) it must be shared. I got the idea from a recipe I posted this fall for Pork Verde. I figured if you could cook pork in salsa you could probably do the same with chicken. The result of my little notion? One deliciously simple dinner:
Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
– 2-3 lbs of boneless chicken, breasts and/or thighs
– 1 large jar of salsa (at least 24oz)
– 1 cup of frozen corn (or 1 can of corn, drained)
– taco accompaniments: tortillas, lettuce, cheese etc.
1. Place chicken & corn in the crock pot.
2. Cover with salsa and cook on low for 6-7 hours. (If using a jar that is larger than 24oz, use enough to cover everything completely. I had a 48oz jar and used a little more than half.)
3. Using two forks, shred the chicken in the crock pot. Stir it all together so it mixes with the salsa & corn. Serve with your taco fixings.
That’s it! Literally as easy as 1-2-3. I have to be honest, when I made this I figured that my middle child – the one with the total aversion to all things tomato – wouldn’t eat it. I thought she’d just make herself a meatless taco salad. But guess what? She ate it and everyone loved it! And those leftovers made a fantastic nacho topping. This will definitely be going in my regular rotation.