I was a child of the 80s but the music of the 90s is the music of my college life… the music of my wedding reception… the music of my 20s. I have a terrible mind for music. I rarely remember lyrics. I almost never remember the artist. But somewhere in my brain is a small blob of cells that still remembers the hits of the 90s. So when I saw this list from Rolling Stone, I had to dig it up and check it out.
Worst Songs of the 90s
and while I wouldn’t have remembered enough songs or artists to be able to vote on this list, I can certainly add commentary after the fact
10. What’s Up by Four Non Blondes: huh? I don’t even remember a song or group by this name. Then I heard it… I say Hey… it should be named What’s Going On – and wasn’t there a SNL skit making fun of this one? Kudos to whoever added it to the list. It’s bad.
9. I’m Too Sexy by Right Said Fred: I have vivid memories of this one blaring in my dorm as we got ready to go out at night. I’m not sure what that says about me.
8. Who Let The Dogs Out by Baha Men: Was this one played on the radio?? I only remember it being played in sports arenas and even then it was annoying.
7. My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion: Oh Leo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet… sigh… This song will last far longer than your steamy scene in the car. I’m not a Celine fan so I never liked this one anyway.
6. Mmmmm Bop by Hanson: I think I liked this when it came out. I know I sang along in the car and I don’t even think I was singing sarcastically. Then again, maybe not.
5. Tubthumping by Chumbawamba: Heyyyyy…. I did like this one. In fact, I bought this tape (yes, cassette tape) just because of this song. I might even have it on my ipod somewhere. Yikes.
4. Ice, Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice: I liked this one. It has also served as a fun way to embarrass the pre-teen in the house. And (hanging my head sheepishly) this one is on my ipod. I think I have a soft spot for white rappers. Plus, my 6yo son LOVES it. This is getting embarrassing…
3. Achy, Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus: I can now redeem myself! I HATED this song. Hated all the cheesy country music! Was Friends in Low Places from the 90s too?? Yuck.
2. Macarena by Los Del Rio: This too drove me nuts – yet somehow I know the dance. Why is that?? Why do I know how to do the annoying dance to an annoying song? I also remember it being played to death on a vacation to Cancun – even all those margaritas can’t erase that memory.
1. Barbie Girl by Aqua: Ugh. This song is terrible. You know what’s even worse about it? My daughter’s cheer camp picked this song for their ‘camp dance’ so I have had to hear it this year over & over & over.
Wanna go for a ride?
Only if it’s far away from this annoying song.
And there you have it – the Top Ten worst songs of the 90s. And only one was played at my wedding reception!