It’s only one week into summer and I’m having a hard time adjusting. I’ll get used to it – I always do – but for now, I’m frustrated at how hard it is to get things done. I feel like I’m home all day and yet I have next to nothing to show for it. And speaking of days, I have had no idea what day it was all week. Normally when this happens I can look at the calendar and see a day that shines with opportunity to accomplish big things but the summer calendar is just one blur of driving the kids to activities. It doesn’t help that any effort I make at cleaning is instantly destroyed, a messy house tends to stress me out.
Summer is making me cranky.
So in an effort to ease up on myself and my inclination for instilling order, I’m going to force myself to find moments of summertime grace. Hopefully sometime before August I’ll relax and enjoy them more often:
1. All three children around the table laughing and then hopping up to play some sort of imagination game *together*
2. Gorgeous weather. Just right for sitting on the deck and keeping the windows open.
3. Waking up with the sun shining, even though I’m still getting up earlier than the rest of the house.
4. The sound of a bat hitting a baseball as my son practices in the backyard.
5. The bright yellow of the day lilies around my mailbox.
There will be more summer joy in coming weeks… trips to the beach, wandering the farmer’s market and vacations. I’ll try to stay focused on all of that. After all, this is the only summer I’ll have a 13 year old, 11 year old and 7 year old running around. I’ll have plenty of summers with work and chores in front of me.