As happens at this time of year every year – we went blueberry picking. I freeze about half of the harvest. The kids eat at least half of what’s left and then I start digging through recipes for the remainder. I decided I wanted something snackable that we could take on our road trip. I started with my yummy recipe for Lemon Blueberry Cake and found a recipe for bread and combined the two to come up with this. It is refreshing and yummy and I shall enjoy it very much as we are making our way West.
Lemon Blueberry Bread
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 lemon (you’ll use it three times)
the juice squeezed from half of that lemon (or 3 TB if you are using a bottle… but use fresh, lemons are cheap)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
1/2 cup milk
zest grated from the whole lemon
1 cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease an 8 inch loaf pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and eggs.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add half of these dry ingredients to the batter and mix in. Then add the milk, mix it in. Then add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix it all in. Gently fold in the lemon zest and blueberries. Pour batter into the loaf pan.
4. Bake for 58 minutes (approx 1 hour, I like the crust lightly browned so I go just under). It’s done when you can insert a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean.
5. Bonus: Glaze the top! While it’s cooling, mix together juice squeezed from the other half of your lemon (approx 2 TB) with 1/4 cup of powdered sugar. Drizzle the glaze all over the top.
Note on the blueberries: this is just as good with frozen blueberries and you don’t even need to thaw them out. Just toss in a cup frozen, they’ll thaw while baking.