I love baking biscotti this time of year. It’s the perfect compliment to a warm cup of tea or hot cocoa or coffee. I like to dunk the cookie in just long enough that it gets moist, but not soggy and then… Mmmm. It’s a real treat. I have had a stand-by biscotti recipe for years: Chocolate Cashew Biscotti. But this year I found a new twist and I wanted to share it with all of you:
Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 TB unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
And for the topping:
- 2 TB sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon mixed together
1. Preheat oven to 325 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl (ideally the bowl of your stand mixer) cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy then add the vanilla and the eggs one at a time. Mix in the dry ingredients.
3. On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough in half and shape into two logs approx 10 inches long and 2 inches wide. Lay the logs on the baking sheets. Whisk the egg white and brush the tops of the logs with it. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. The dough should be slightly soft to the touch. Remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes to cool slightly.
4. Gently transfer the logs to a cutting board and cut into 1/2 inch thick diagonal slices using a serrated knife. Lay them back on the baking sheet (you should be able to fit them all on the one sheet, they can be very close together). Sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar and bake for 15 minutes – they should be just soft in the center when you take them out and will harden as they cool.
Store in an airtight container and they will last for about a month… if you don’t eat them first!