As usual, I find myself on this first day back to school with mixed feelings. On the one hand, I very much need to get things in order and having the kids back at school will help that greatly. On the other hand, I didn’t get to do anything special with my kids and I’d like a couple days of fun adventures with them. Plus, we were all enjoying our relaxed mornings.
Looking back on our break, here’s what I learned:
1. The third child starts sleeping in far earlier than his siblings ever did. By the end of break the boy wasn’t waking up before 9am. Unheard of in these parts.
2. Having the holidays on a Tuesday really messes up my adventure plans. It was like we had super-extended weekends (thru Wednesday) then two days of break before another super-extended weekend. Sure, it was fun but it didn’t leave enough free time.
3. When a dreadful stomach virus hits you over break and just as you’re starting to recover, hits one of your kids it’s the worst break ever. Not only will the few remaining free days be sucked away from you, you will find yourself exhausted and with no energy to make use of any fun time.
4. Sometimes there isn’t even enough time to start a puzzle with your family.
5. It’s okay to not bake Christmas cookies, at least for one year. Santa seemed to very much enjoy the bowl of popcorn we left for him instead.
I know some mothers would lynch me for saying this, but I’d love a couple of extra days off just to soak in time with my kids. I am going to need to make an effort to find some time with them even during the busy nights of a school week. Just enough time to play a game or two or do that puzzle that we’ve had sitting out for two weeks.