So I dreamed about a parachute last night. It’s the second time in the past few months that I’ve had a similar dream. In neither one was I skydiving. I apparently have the ability to harness up, start running with the parachute behind me and then take off into the air. Then I can float around, steering myself of course, and see what there is to see… sort of like I’m in a hot air balloon. Because I’m impressive like that.
In both dreams I was in the same place, but it is not a place that I recognize. In this dream town there is a large body of water (can’t remember if it’s Lake Michigan or the ocean) and I always end up sailing over the water at some point. I remember feeling slightly concerned that if I were to crash in the water, my running shoes would make swimming very difficult. But that’s the only concern I have the entire time I’m tooling around in the sky.
Oh, and in last night’s dream I was wearing a long, formal dress. Because, obviously I wear formal wear as often as possible. With running shoes. And a parachute.
I don’t often have the same dream (or close to the same dream) so it’s sticking with me this morning. I’ve used my friend Google to try and figure out what it all means.
Parachutes in dreams:
– Dreaming of a parachute can mean that you have options that you haven’t considered in terms of your waking life. It is also a reminder that you do have safety and protection. It suggests that you think laterally if you are feeling vulnerable, you may have support and safety available to you that you had not considered. That’s interesting, considering that I don’t feel vulnerable.
– Alternatively, the dream implies that it is time to bail out of a situation or abandon an old idea or habit. Well, that’s vague enough that I can certainly apply it to something if I want.
– To dream of holding or wearing a parachute means security, safety and a good outcome to any kind of situation or problem that you may be experiencing in the natural. So, while walking around wearing a parachute in my dream seems perfectly normal, it may just be a giant security blanket?
Even though I’m not really flying in my dream, I’m somehow controlling my own personal air-travel… which is pretty close to flying. So I looked up information about flying dreams (there’s a *lot* out there about flying dreams).
– If you are flying with ease and are enjoying the scene and landscape below, then it suggests that you are on top of a situation. You have risen above something. It may also mean that you have gained a new and different perspective on things. Flying dreams and the ability to control your flight is representative of your own personal sense of power. I’m going to have to think about this one… a new perspective on something? Hmmm.
– Another way of interpreting flying dreams is that these dreams symbolize your strong mind and will. I don’t think I need an impossible, recurring dream to tell myself that I’m really, really stubborn.
– Flying dreams serve as a sort of escape from the pressures of the real world (which is represented by the ground). This is getting interesting.
And here are some questions from a dream interpretation website:
– Was I flying alone: Yes, though I would walk past people as I went to my next “launching” spot. And none of them seemed to think it was weird that I was walking around wearing a parachute.
– Did anything stopped me: Nope, I went up and landed whenever I wanted.
– Was I in control of my flight: Completely, and it didn’t even feel windy though obviously it must have been to fill up my parachute and lift me off the ground.
– What was the weather like: Blue skies & sunny
– Where you scared: Not in the least.
– How was the mood in your dream. Where you happy or sad: Happy I suppose though I don’t remember having any specifically strong emotion.
– In which direction were you flying: Just up & around, which I suppose means forward, but always close to the ground, and here are the interpretations of that: If you are flying upwards in your dream, it suggests you are now on a new level spiritually. If you where flying downwards you are trying to get more intuned to our unconscious. If you are flying low to the ground it represents strength and determination in your life. If you are flying an airplane it means you’re not fully free to have fun but you’re almost there. If you are flying backwards, it suggests you want to relive the past and the good memories you experienced.
So apparently I’m really determined about something but I feel in control and secure about this mystery situation/challenge.
The moral of my dream exploration: Looking stuff up on Google is an interesting way to start the day.