As I was out on my run this morning I was thinking it’s time for another true mom confessions. It’s really a thinly veiled attempt to not feel quite so guilty about the habits I’ve fostered around here. These are just some of the things that I’ve let my kids get away with recently. Please add some of your own so I don’t feel quite so alone.
– I let my 14yo set her own bed time and I often hear her talking on her phone when I’m ready to go to bed.
– I have completely abandoned the one hour of screen time each day rule. Luckily as the weather gets nicer they don’t want to watch as much TV or play on devices quite as often anyway.
– Closely related, I used to not let the kids watch TV before school. Now the 8yo watches something nearly every single morning.
– I don’t check homework every night.
– I dread going to school awards night. It’s long, hot and boring. Yes, I’m proud of my kids – chances are I’m proud of your kids too – but I find the whole thing to be a drudgery. If there’s a participation award they can possibly create, they’ll take 5 minutes to talk about it, hand it out and clap for each kid.
There, I got a few things off my chest. How about you?