This year’s beach vacation was not quite the leisurely week in the sand and surf that we’ve come to expect. In fact we didn’t see a temp above 70 for the first four days:
– Sunday: wind gusts of 20+mph straight off the Lake, riptide warnings, clouds (no beach time)
– Monday: more of the same but we went down to the beach for an hour to build sand castles and get some wind burn
– Tuesday: more of the same with the added bonus of a cold rain (no beach time)
– Wednesday: the adults in the group left for the day, the kids that stayed behind with grandma got a little bit of beach time in between rain storms
– Thursday: finally, a real beach day
– Friday: and another, nice hot beach day
– Saturday: lots of clouds, we got some beach time in because it was hot but not much because it also rained for hours in the middle of the day
– Sunday: absolutely perfect beach day. As if the beach was taunting us with what we could have had if only Mother Nature wasn’t such a freak.
We built some puzzles. We played lots of games. I read three books. Plenty of sleep and naps were had by all. The cousins had some quality play time. It was far from a bust of a week. It just wasn’t the best *beach* week.
To top it all off for me… I couldn’t even exercise. I packed a bag of workout gear. Brought my bike and swim stuff. And I rode my bike one time. The first three days I tried to convince my body it wasn’t sick. By Tuesday night I cried uncle. By Wednesday night I was on a full course of antibiotics and cough medicine.
Don’t get me wrong – it was nice to get away, it just wasn’t what we all had in mind when we packed for a week at the beach.