Definition of Nag
– Annoy or irritate (a person) with persistent faultfinding or continuous urging.
– A person who nags someone.
– A horse, esp. one that is old or in poor health.
Let’s see, this week I have…
– asked every day if anyone is going to do a chore
– said at least three times a day, “put down the screen/turn off the tv – you have other things you should be doing”
– pointed out to each child the offensive and ridiculous state of their bedroom
Heck, considering how I’ve felt on some runs lately I might even fit that final definition too. I feel like my life is a constant battle between doing all home maintenance myself or nagging the other people who live in this house to step up to the plate.
I hate being a nag. HATE. IT. I’ve tried to suppress my nagging urges but then absolutely nothing gets done. I’ve tried to dole out extreme restrictions so that things will get done without me having to nag – it only works for a week or two. I’ve tried to dole out rewards for getting things done in a timely manner – that lasted all of one week, even though we let the kids be involved in determining the reward system.
Other ideas (don’t call social services on me, I’m joking… mostly)
– Serve meals only to those people who have managed to do something productive in the house each day.
– Institute 5 a.m. wake-up calls for anyone who has chores to do or laundry to put away or messes to pick up.
– Go on strike – refusing to cook, clean, take out the garbage or do any laundry until my demands are met.
– Force everyone out on a mile run each night if their chores aren’t finished and their room isn’t clean.
Have any “creative” ideas to add?