Peppers were exploding all over the farmer’s market this weekend. Bell peppers, jalapenos, hungarian hots, sweet banana peppers. Beautiful, colorful peppers! I picked up a nice batch of sweet banana peppers last weekend, stuffed them and made them for dinner. Oh so yummy!
Stuffed Banana Peppers
6-8 banana peppers
1 lb bulk Italian sausage
1 package of saffron rice
1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1 cup shredded mozzerella cheese
1 jar of marinara sauce
1. Prepare the saffron rice according to package directions. Warm up the marinara sauce on low in another pot.
2. Cook and crumble the Italian sausage. Drain in a colander with paper towels to soak up the grease.
3. Cut open the peppers and scrape out the membranes & seeds. Place cut side up in a baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 3 minutes so they are crisp-tender. Preheat broiler on low.
4. In a large bowl mix together your stuffing: rice, sausage and the grated Parmesan or Romano. Generously put stuffing into each of your peppers in the baking dish. Cover with shredded cheese and broil until cheese is lightly browned.
5. Serve with marinara on the side or poured over the top.
Note: I don’t broil them in the marinara because I think it makes the peppers too soggy.