We didn’t get to go on any vacations this summer. My oldest worked her first job. The middlest had her first regular babysitting gig. The youngest participated in a lot of sports camps. We went to the library each week. We didn’t go to the beach nearly often enough. And, I’ll admit it, a lot of television was watched.
However, we accomplished nearly everything on our Summer Fun List!
- Hikes at Taltree & Dunes: Yep! We did them both and we’ll do both again before fall arrives.
- Canoe trip down the Tippecanoe: Yep! Last Friday we went on our first canoe & kayak trip. We even convinced Matt to join us. It was a great day! I think we’ll definitely do this again as a family.
- State Fair: Sadly, the weather forecast took this one off our list. We had one day set aside with no obligations and the forecast was cold and wet. It’s hard to justify driving two hours there and back when the forecast looks lousy. On the flip side, we’re still making a trip to Indy to play this weekend – but school has started so it doesn’t count for the summer fun list.
- Trips to the farmer’s market: Accomplished and they were delicious!
- Brunch at Bartlett’s: We did this after a dunes hike and it was soooooooo good. So good that my son asks nearly every weekend if we can go back for brunch. We need to make that happen soon. YUM.
- Birky’s Farm Lunch: There is a local pork farmer that has opened a restaurant and market. Nearly everything on the menu comes from their farm and is homemade. I’ve been wanting to find time to make this drive for lunch and it was delicious.
- Three trips to Chicago: We had four ideas in case we found extra time. We didn’t get to make four trips but the three we made were tons of fun – Lincoln Park Zoo; Adler Planetarium; Art Institute & hanging out in Millennium Park.
- Chicago Arboretum: We didn’t make it here but it was all my idea and not something high on the kids’ list. We swapped this out for an afternoon of miniature golf. So we’ll consider this an even trade.
- Bears training camp: J changed his mind about this trip so we came up with another swap for the list – blueberry picking.
- Bonus trip: Indiana University! We snuck down to Indy on a Saturday, picked up K’s lifelong friend and toured campus on a beautiful summer day.
I think that’s a pretty successful, fun, active summer! I know I enjoyed each of those adventures. Most of all I enjoyed having my kids away from distractions and all together.