As I sit here at my desk, a position to which I’ve been stuck more often than usual these past few weeks, I notice that I’m eavesdropping a bit more. Sometimes I talk about the things I see – today I’m talking about things I’ve heard.
Things I did NOT like to hear:
- The dryer making a distinctly NOT working hum instead of its normal happily drying, tumble
- Children calling each other names
- Butler losing the final game, again
- Texas A&M pulling out the win against Notre Dame
- The mean bark of a pitbull coming after us on our run
Things I did like to hear:
- Sounds of children playing outside
- It’s sundown on Saturday night
- Yes, we’re cutting the check on that invoice… from January
- Children whispering to each other about their plans to make signs for me to cheer me on at my marathon
- A friend who said she is planning to run 8-10 miles by my side at my marathon and another who said she’s training to run 15 with me. Those brought tears to my eyes.
- My 6yo reading more and more smoothly
- The dryer’s warm, far more efficient, working tumble