The last day of 8th grade, 6th grade and 2nd grade is behind us. The kids have two days with nothing planned. Two days to sleep in, make random plans with friends and just hang out. Next week summer camps, band and gym will start. Next week I institute the new chore plan (and become the most hated mom on earth). I will try to redeem myself however by planning a few fun adventures this summer. No Great American Road Trips unfortunately but I think these day-trip adventures will fit the bill.
Here are a few of the things we hope to do in the summer of 2013:
- Fun hikes at Taltree, on Dunes trails and any other trails we can find
- Canoe trip (Maybe even down the Tippecanoe River)
- State Fair
- A trip to the Dells to splash and play
- Wrigley Field tour
- Chicago Arboretum or Botanical Gardens
- Walk to the Farmer’s Market
- Brunch at Bartlett’s
- Plenty of beach time at Lake Michigan
- At least two trips to the Museum of Science & Industry, and we’d like to tack on a walk through the Japanese Garden in nearby Jackson Park
- A walking tour of China Town
I don’t know if we’ll get through the entire list and I’m sure other opportunities will come up that we’ll add later. I do know that I’m hoping to give the kids plenty of down time, a little bit of structure and a good portion of adventure.