The holidays are just around the corner. Often you will find yourself with guests in the house for the holidays and sometimes breakfasts for company can be a challenge. Breakfasts on holidays where you’d rather be sitting with your family instead of standing in the kitchen can be an extra challenge. That’s why the breakfast casserole was invented. You put it together the night before and then all you have to do in the morning is put it in the oven. While you enjoy a cup of coffee by the tree or a nice conversation with family, your breakfast is cooking itself. Try one of these recipes next time you need a hands-off breakfast option:
Caramel French Toast Casserole
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light colored corn syrup
1/4 cup butter
10 slices of French bread or other thick, white bread
2 1/2 cups skim milk
1 TB flour
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
2 TB sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Spray 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray – and spray it well.
2. Combine first three ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat for five minutes or until bubbly – stirring constantly. Pour into the bottom of your baking dish.
3. Arrange bread slices in a single layer over the syrup.
4. Combine milk, flour, vanilla, eggs and a dash of salt in a large bowl and whisk together. Pour over the bread slices, push the bread down to make sure it is all in the liquid. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 350. Combine the sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle over the bread. Bake for 45 minutes (uncovered) – until golden on top.
Other easy holiday breakfasts:
Two make-ahead casseroles: Spicy Broccoli & Egg and Cream Cheese French Toast